Sunday, May 23, 2010

Boat Shuttles

There as been talk, recently, on one of the groups I belong to, about boat shuttle and how to throw them without them "nose diving" to the floor!  I was winding my own pirns for my boat shuttle when I realised why some people, usually beginners, have problems with their shuttles, so here I'm going to show you how to wind your bobbins.

It doesn't matter whether you have cardboard pirns, seen here at the front of the two shuttles




Or if you make your own paper ones, I'll show you how I do it in a later post!







First of all build up a small mound of yarn at one end of your pirn.














Now move your yarn across the pirn to the other end and build up another mound.










Next, fill the space between the two mounds with yarn moving backwards and forwards across the pirn so that it fills evenly.








Continue filling the centre of your pirn until it the mounds are level.  Once you get to that stage you can continue filling the pirn, but don't allow the yarn to go over the mounds towards the ends.  If this happens your yarn will jam when you throw your shuttle and may snag your selvedge, pulling it in!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...