Saturday, December 22, 2007

Back Blogging at Last!!

Oh dear, I have had so many "life" things to deal with, not least a leak from our immersion heater, that I've not had time to do much work. I am supposed to be putting a couple of portfolio's together, one for my apparel textiles and one for interior textiles.

Finally sat down today to work on the Donnington Le Heath picture I posted way back in January!
I have got a number of pictures and sketches in my sketch book and have done a few wrappings, but decided to run the picture through Colour Palette Generator and got some nice colours. The beauty of the CPG is how it narrows down the colours. When looking at colour on your own, there is a tendency to choose too many colours which can makes a weave look too busy.

Color Palette Generator

Enter the URL of an image to get a color palette that matches the image. This is useful for coming up with a website color palette that matches a key image a client wants to work with.

URL of image:

dull
#445533
#998877
#ffffff
#bbaa99
#887766
vibrant
#556611
#bb9966
#ffffff
#eecc99
#aa9944
These colours are lovely, I particularly like the coral colour in the vibrant palette.

I think it would be a good idea to isolate a section of the building:

this is the section and it's interesting to see what colours the CPG has generated!

dull
#998877
#aaaa99
#eeddcc
#ddbbaa
#777766
vibrant
#bbaa66
#ccccaa
#ffffdd
#ffddaa
#888866
I love the dull palate again, I think it's the greys and pinks, but I also love the coral in the vibrant palette. I can't make my mind up which palette I prefer, so I will have to have a play with my yarns and do some wrappings, the actual yarn will give me a better feel.

So off to do some wrappings and have a think about what kind of weave to use!

See you later, have a lovely Christmas.

4 comments:

Woolly Bits said...

hi Alison,

I still didn't manage to sit down to work on my "design" trials, and stupid as I am I lent a friend your book over christmas, which I only realised earlier today - when I wanted to sit down and try something like your "apple" yarn:(( argh, is that a sign to go back to more alpaca needed for a present? but the colours esp. in the 2nd restricted batch are lovely - I like the duller ones especially!

I hope you had a lovely time, to be honest I am not too unhappy that "the holidays" are nearly over:)) enjoy the last few days of the old year - and have a good and esp. healthy new year to come!

Willington Weaver said...

Hi Bettina

I'm glad to be back working too, even though I work at home, I prefer to be busy than sitting watching "rubbish" on tv!

Yes, I like the duller colours, too. This website is so useful for narrowing down the colours, it's so easy to get carried away looking for colours in a inspirational image that I'm using it more and more.

Hope you get your book back soon and enjoy spinning the "apple" yarn or something similar.

Peg in South Carolina said...

Hi Allison,

Somehow I only just now discovered your blog! I very much enjoy what you have written and hope you continue to write frequently, well, at least relatively frequently (grin!)

Willington Weaver said...

Hi Peg

I am so glad you like the blog, Peg, it's aim is to be informative and encouraging and to take away the myth that designing is difficult.

I find it helps me to write it, as well, so I must admit I get a bit frustrated when I am too busy. I suppose I treat it like I would a sketchbook, where I put my thoughts and discoveries.

Alison

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...